Day 7

This morning, Ron sent me some instructions on building a neural network in keras, saving me from having nothing to do for the entire day. Nice! I kept the experiment running in the background while I worked on the neural network. Fortunately (or unfortunately) keras made it very easy to create a sophisticated and successful model. I finished testing everything I needed to by midday. Nice? After lunch, there was still stuff to do. As per usual, I did some reading. I highly recommend the notes from Andrej Karpathy's class on using CNNs for visual recognition (link).
In my Day 2 blog post, I mentioned trying to help Nate format his data to be compatible with the SVM. We are seven days into the internship, and nothing has changed. I figured out how to format my data for the image classification pipeline (one of our internship projects) two days ago, and this format happens to be different. Explaining this format and my implementation to Nate was pretty difficult, and I had a nagging feeling that there had to be an easier way. I'd better get used to it, huh.
Today I also realized that I haven't posted any cool visualizations on my blog yet. The only things I have to show from the lab are lines of code, spreadsheets, and visualizations. Of the three, the last is probably the most interesting for everybody. Without further ado:
My first experiment consists of testing many kinds of feature extractors to see how they perform within a given image classification pipeline. So far, this is the best (a 4-layer multiloss convolutional autoencoder stack trained on 50 samples per class). On the left are the "ground truth" labels for the Pavia University dataset. Each color (other than the dark blue background) corresponds to a label, such as asphalt, meadows, gravel, etc. The middle image shows which pixels the model was trained on (they might be hard to see), and the rightmost image is what the model predicted by learning from the pixels in the middle image. On average, the model applied labels with 94.46% accuracy. Among the most noticeable inconsistencies are in the meadows at the bottom and the intersection on the right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outline

Day 2

Day 28